Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > Europe Cars > I am trying to figure out which autel pr...
I am trying to figure out which autel product is right for me without breaking the bank.

3497 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: 2014-03-05 06:44:50

•   Level 1   
    (8) points
    Maleman
    2014-03-04 16:26:49
     Hello Autel Support Community,

I was doing some research into the best OBD-II scanners and I came across Autel.  I want to get the best product for the lowest price (don't we all).  

I have owned quite a few cars in my lifetime (i'm 25) and I usually have no problem replacing anything on a car.  The only problem I usually run into is when the computer throws a code.  If it doesn't throw a code at a mechanic shop or advance auto parts (auto part store that offers free-code scanning) then I'm usually out of luck.  We can't always drive a car that is throwing a code somewhere to see what the code is.  

I was trying to figure out what Autel product would be best for me.  I want to make sure it will give me all possible codes that can be thrown by the computer.  I also want to make sure it will be able to work on future cars that I may have.  Right now I have a 99 toyota camry 2.2l that appears to have a sensor issue and is throwing a code that I cannot read.

Regardless of what my issue might be right now, I was wondering what product would give me the best results without just buying the top of the line model.  I found the Autel MaxiScan MS509 OBD-II/EOBD Scanner on Amazon for only $58.00 and then they also hace the AL519 for $89 and t he top of the line AL609 for $160.  The AL609 is the best model that Autel offers, but do I really need all of that?  Also the difference between the MS509 and the AL519 seems to just be the color screen offered by a newer model.  

I guess my question is can I get away with using a MS509?  Would that fit my average consumer needs for any cars that I plan on purchasing that are at least 1996+?

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-03-04 20:27:34 (Reply to:Maleman)

Hello   welcome to the forum  you have made a great choice looking into autel product  I see that your 25 years old and like this field maybe already a mechanic or thinking of becoming one  I am going to tell you this if you are seriously considering becoming a professional tech do your self a favor and don't buy a code reader  as you will always be blind folded you will never know what is wrong with the car  you gave a perfect example auto zone discount auto parts  code readers you will be as lost as they are  trouble codes are hardly the problem of the car but the result of the problem  for example a bad catalityc converter will give tps code,air flow meter code o2 sensor codes and more you go and replace all this sensors and you are going to have to because you have a code reader you can not see data  you can not do bidirectional  etc  so there goes a couple of hundreds of dollars down the drain  you feel me  if I was you i will get me a real scanner if you can not afford a maxisys get your self a maxidas  you will not regret it believe me I am not an autel salesman nor tech support just someone that was your age once and was given the same advice very similar to your case  back to the scan tool  another example 80% of the time to be modest there is a problem with the car and it will not set a code or turn on a check engine light  what do you do know if you have a code reader nothing at all  and you will also need some source of information like ondemand5  alldata etc, maxidas has come down in price lately if you can not buy a new one get a used one but you will not have the updates  anyway my little 2 cents   wish you good luck  cheers.

•   Level 1   
    (8) points
    Maleman
    2014-03-05 03:34:40 (Reply to:ede65)
      I appreciate the response but the maxisys and maxidas were way out of the price of what I was looking to spend.

I don't really plan on being a mechanic or professional car tech.  I'm just trying to get a quality product that can lead me in the right direction if I'm having an error code thrown by the car.  

Thanks for your response though

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-03-05 06:44:50 (Reply to:Maleman)

you are welcome  lets see if tech support or another member here  can give you an idea of which code reader to choose from  as i can't help you in that department  I have never owned one of those, check in every now and then I am sure some one will answer  good day.
  Total1 Pages