Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > Europe Cars > 2009 528i Cranks but does not start
2009 528i Cranks but does not start

2817 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: 2015-05-28 06:30:04

•   Level 2   
    (26) points
    nenad16
    2015-05-08 04:58:16
    The customer's 2009 E60 528i stalled on the freeway. Upon diagnosing it with MaxiSys Pro, the only relevant code was fuel pump(DME code 2AAE).So we replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. The battery voltage was also under 11V,  so we installed a new AGM battery and registered it accordingly. Tried to start the car, it only cranks but does not start. Checked the fuel pump, it works, has proper fuel pressure at the rail. Can smell the fuel from the exhaust after a while, so that tells me the injectors are opening. So that lead me to believe there is no spark. I replaced the crank position sensor, but still no start, only endless cranking. Scanned the vehicle but no codes are present. Then ran programming and coding for CAS, DME and EKP(fuel pump controller), CAS calibration, still same.
    So, would a bad CAS or DME  cause a fuel injectors to work but not ignition? Is there anything else I should be checking out? Any ideas are welcome.

•   Level 1   
    (8) points
    Polarpaul

2015-05-10 19:33:34 (Reply to:nenad16)

Interesting question. Need a Bmw Tech to answer that 100%. I would want to rule out a bad key as you've gone advanced down that route.
    I would also be asking myself:
    Battery voltage 
    Could this car have suffered a no code charging system failure on freeway causing low fuel pump voltage before shutting off. Am I seeing a higher voltage now after battery recovery.
    Do I have good battery ground and charge cables 
    Has DME caused No charge or has alternator/harness shorted a DME driver.

Or can I rule that out because  it simply due to customer/tow truck driver/simply worn out

No start
    Can I verify power and control with DVOM or Scope at coils during cranking

No codes
    Why no manipulation or communication errors in CAS after all the start attempts.
    Can I unplug sensors to generate some.
    Can I put all the modules to sleep, check parasitic draw while asleep.
    Am I getting good power and grounds on suspect modules.
    Do I have a short in a harness.

Good luck

•   Level 9   
    (5837) points
    Ashraf

2015-05-22 06:44:26 (Reply to:Polarpaul)

Have you tried to use any other scan tool to see if you getting any fault codes......? Also few basic things you need to check

1) Cylinder Compression
    2) Blocked Exhaust System
    3) Intake Manifold Flaps

Also as mentioned by other member your battery voltage is very important so make sure the battery is in good condition.......

Ash

•   Level 7   
    (962) points
    912guy

2015-05-28 06:30:04 (Reply to:nenad16)

yes both dme and cas can cause this ... I remember the old e39 5 series would bypass the crank sensor and use the cam sensor and start from either... Also if the starter isn't turning enough rpm's on cycle to start it will not start also...also make sure you have adequate voltage to the car when performing these parameters.... but from what your saying the crank isn't a long drawn out crank as if its turning the engine slow. But yes, the usual culprit is the cas or the power distribution box...they use to be located on the passenger side and have some fuses inside them. Never experienced a 2009 with this issue...I hope this helps..
  Total1 Pages