Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > New to this level of OBD2 diagnosis.
New to this level of OBD2 diagnosis.

2304 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: 2016-04-03 02:39:26

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    Dcope17
    2016-03-29 22:26:33

I am getting there but still just stumbling upon things and looking for a little help.

I have a misfire in my Ford excursion V10. I happened upon $56 ( misfire counter ) or something like that from a competitors site and I happened to find in with my AL539B. There are letter and number combinations that I don't understand. I have looked through the entire manual of my Autel but it doesn't even mention any of this and found no help anywhere yet.

Is this specific to Ford? or is there a list that explains each $?? and what it does, then explains how to understand what I find in each of those $ modes?

All I have to go on right now is it says CYL 8 is fail... but does it show all the other cylinders as OK. I mean, maybe they pass but I want to know if I have maybe a pass rating but still how many misfires do I have?

Basically, I have found nothing that explains any of this. a link or something would be helpful.

Thanks.

Dan

•   Level 9   
    (3413) points
    Support02

2016-03-30 09:06:51 (Reply to:Dcope17)

Is it what you want?

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    Dcope17
    2016-03-30 14:24:03

Yes, that is a start...

but also in $06, I have figured out that $53 is cylinder misfire counts. In $53, there are numbers called out like A43X. My question is where do I find that explained?

Then in mode $06, there is more than just $53... What are all the others? What is $54? or $52?

There has to be a map and some explanation somewhere.

I rarely describe my life in feelings... But I have to this time. I have a problem with my truck and this tool will tell me everything I need to know. My problem is "How do I use this tool?" and so far the response I have found is "Figure it out on your own."

Other things like how to record and then review data are explained in the manual, so I'm not flying totally blind. but a little explanation would be nice. Certainly I'm not the first to use this tool to troubleshoot a misfire.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2016-03-30 18:13:14 (Reply to:Dcope17)

Don't  try to be an engineer  and be too technical.Cylinder #8 is the third one back on the left bank (driver side). If your fuel trims look good , suspect coil and plug if compression checks out good .Clear codes and test for fuel injector mechanical clicking with a stethoscope immediately after starting (pcm strategy may turn off specific injector after missing for awhile to protect cats.Confirm  electrical power and ground switching of fuel injector with a noid light. If plug comes out with a black streak on ceramic , at least change the coil boot and the spark plug and swap coil assembly with an easy cylinder to get to, LOL

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    Dcope17
    2016-03-30 22:00:03 (Reply to:witsend)
     Okay, I'll put down my engineering notebook and go fix CYL #8. Thanks for the help... and the kick in the pants to get moving.

•   Level 6   
    (707) points
    hefaus

2016-04-03 02:39:26 (Reply to:witsend)

Well said Sir....
  Total1 Pages