Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > ds708 ford key programming PATS errors
ds708 ford key programming PATS errors

8108 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: 2016-06-29 00:59:15

•   Level 2   
    (35) points
    tonanzith
    2016-06-18 02:56:35
     Please help!  Truck was stolen last week  Got it back but thieves have one of my keys.  I dug out my DS708 an followed video instructions.  I went into PCM, special function, PATS etc.  I waited the 10 minutes for security access.  all went normal.  I went to delete ignition key which it said to do to delete all keys.  It did delete the keys BUT it was SUPPOSED to popup a new screen with instructions to proceed programming the new keys.  It did not.  The screen blipped and it went back to the main PATS scree.  So I went back in and waited 10 minutes again for it to get security access.  Only this time I tried to program new key and it says it can not communicate with module..  If I try to re delete etc it says unsuccessful fault detected.  I am assuming because there are now no keys programed to the PATS module?  So truck is stuck and can not program new keys.  What do I do?  Is this a software bug??  Or what do I do?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  I am too far to have this towed to a dealer.  And first its stolen now its useless...

•   Level 5   
    (243) points
    FX4

2016-06-18 03:55:06 (Reply to:tonanzith)

If you successfully erased all keys then in the PCM PID NUMKEYS will be 0. You will have to have 2 of the correct PATS keys to get the truck running. The DS708 Is working properly as you can not PROGRAM keys with a scan toll until the PCM has LEARNED the minimum of 2 keys. Do the following steps and the truck will start.

1. cycle key 1 to run for at least 3 seconds then back to off
    2. cycle key 2 to run for at least 3 seconds then back to off
    3. again cycle key 1 back to run for 3 seconds then back to off.
    4 vehicle should now start with both keys.
    You can now add other keys either with the scan tool OR by the instructions in the owners manual.

Let us know when you get it running.
    Thanks

•   Level 2   
    (35) points
    tonanzith
    2016-06-18 04:06:53 (Reply to:FX4)
     Thank you,  I should have mentioned that I tried that as well.  After googling I have tried it without the ds708 connected to the vehicle and it did not work.  I also read elsewhere that I needed to start by having the ds708 get security access and THEN disconnecting it and trying to program keys and it still did not work.  I also read doing a parameter reset would make it start over basically and to then try programming the new keys and it still did not work.  one key I am trying to program is new straight from the dealer today and the other is one of my old keys for this truck that was working prior to being deleted.

•   Level 5   
    (243) points
    FX4

2016-06-18 04:12:39 (Reply to:tonanzith)

OK, Tell me exactly what truck and year model you are working on.

•   Level 2   
    (35) points
    tonanzith
    2016-06-18 04:17:32 (Reply to:FX4)
     2012 ford f150 fx 4

•   Level 5   
    (243) points
    FX4

2016-06-18 04:26:28 (Reply to:tonanzith)

OK, I see the problem, You have to leave the keys in the run position for 10 seconds on these vehicles.
    Look in the PMC at live data for NUMKEYS, if it says "0", the follow the above instructions BUT leave the keys in run for at least 10 seconds, I'd say no more than 15. Please let us know if this works.
    The door locks MAY or MAY not cycle to tell you the keys are programmed. After the last key is programmed, waith 20 seconds before trying to start.

•   Level 2   
    (35) points
    tonanzith
    2016-06-18 04:38:20 (Reply to:FX4)
     ok thanks,  I had to get a ride so I will try again monday.  Its funny tho because everything i found say more than three seconds but no more than 10.  but i'll give it a shot.  finger crossed.  :)

•   Level 5   
    (243) points
    FX4

2016-06-18 04:40:47 (Reply to:tonanzith)

K, thanks, I'll be looking forward to your update.

•   Level 2   
    (35) points
    tonanzith
    2016-06-18 17:43:54 (Reply to:FX4)
     OK, so I'm back at my truck and I'm trying it again and it's not working.   I did as you said and did it for 10 seconds and it didn't work.  I did another Google search and found another place that supposed to be from all data that says six seconds so I tried that and it didn't work. I also tried doing a parameter reset for each time and trying them both again and it didn't work.  Every time I try and I go through the key process of Keyon key off in the next Keyon in the next key off and the original key back on and back off and then wait a few seconds and try to start the truck it just clicks and says starting system failure on the dash. Also I'm not seen any num keyvalue anywhere in the autel. Only the key status in the PCM live data.  Only tells me at the ignition is currently on or off.

•   Level 2   
    (35) points
    tonanzith
    2016-06-18 18:15:37 (Reply to:FX4)
     As an update I kept trying and it still didn't work. I also noticed that every time I make in a tent it keep storing to new codes into the PCN memory.

P06b8 and
    P06b8:00-27

Both are internal memory volatile codes.
  Total3 Pages