Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > How do I know which device to buy?
How do I know which device to buy?

5282 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: 2016-07-29 03:02:18

•   Level 1   
    (5) points
    mrd05d
    2016-06-18 23:37:38
     I am looking for a decent scan/diagnosis tool for USA vehicles. I want module initialization capabilities ( for instance need to match vin to a new tcm) I would also like it to be able to be bidirectional. Eventually i would also like to get a scope so if the scope could work with it that would be nice. I saw a Maxisys pro complete package but im not sure what the differences are between all of the Maxisys products. Whats the difference between the pro and the elite? and the 906 906bt 906ts seems like there are a lot of versions but all the specs seem similar.

•   Level 9   
    (3413) points
    Support02

2016-06-20 08:47:47 (Reply to:mrd05d)

Maxisys Pro and Maxisys Elite have the most powerful product models, which can support to program Benz and BMW. The difference between Maxisys Pro and Maxisys Elite is just the hardware.

Maxisys Mini and Maxisys have the same functions, and also just the difference in hardware and appearance. Maxisys Mini and Maxisys can’t support to program BMW and Benz, comparing with Maxisys Pro and Maxisys Elite.

MS906 has the same apperance with MS906BT, but MS906BT has a few advantage than MS906:
    1. MS906BT is installed Bluetooth, allowing diagnosis wirelessly.
    2. MS906BT’s diagnostic coverage includes premium vehicle brands such as Maserati and Bentley, which would be required for high-end service shops.
    3. MS906BT supports oscilloscope and digital inspection camera add-ons which are not supported by MS906.
    4. Finally, MS906BT has the capability to perform coding for covered vehicles.

MS906TS is added TPMS function based on MS906BT.

•   Level 1   
    (6) points
    malina311

2016-07-17 03:04:05 (Reply to:Support02)

What about key programming? I need to program key Benz w204 2011 c300...

•   Level 9   
    (3413) points
    Support02

2016-07-18 08:06:44 (Reply to:malina311)

At present, our products can't support to program Benz keys.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2016-07-21 19:19:20 (Reply to:mrd05d)

My two cents is , if you don't work on a lot of BMW and Mercedes Benz that you need to program , you are setting yourself up to paying anywhere from $300-$600 more to update the Pro and Elite, just to have another 12 months of Autel server access to download the programming files for 2 makes of cars you may or may  not get your money back from the programming for just those 2 makes of cars. Autel will not allow Pro and Elite owners to downgrade to a regular MS908 update level to avoid the extra update expense. Something to consider before buying is the cost of updates of each tool. Even if you use the J2534 Maxi Flash , I don't think OE manufacturers have it in their list of "Validated " J2534 devices , which requires the J2534 manufacturers of J2534 device commitment  to always keeping up to date with their drivers, , software ,security patches and other windows BS needed that they want to see to ensure a successful re flash, before they list any manufacturers  J2534 device as Validated. Lot of folk have had past successes with Maxi Flash off laptop ,  time is valuable and new modules are super pricey , so could be hit or miss , or worse if you eat an expensive new module. 
      If it were me I think I would just buy the regular non Blue Tooth MS 906 with regular cable. My Blue tooth mouse on my Windows 10 always seems problematic, and I don't need a kid with a remote control toy messing with  my scan tool communication or compromising a Ford Power Balance test. After the free update period is over, hold off and never buy an update for it , then when I absolutely got to  need newer coverage , just buy the next reiteration of the tool and get another 12 months of free updates, because as time goes by some of the newer software has allegedly been not so kind with functionality for older model car coverage. Maybe, I  buy the Maxi Flash j2534 separately (never pair it to a MS908 unless you start doing a ton of programming with BMW and Mercedes Benz )and just  trust the  use  of it to re flashing  only cheap used salvage yard modules for older beaters with a purchased 24 hr OE subscription.

•   Level 7   
    (817) points
    spikeoo7

2016-07-23 22:50:45 (Reply to:mrd05d)

buy snap-on buddy. don't ask me why, I don't own any snap-on tools at the moment but I will tell you this, have a couple of fishing buddies and they are all very happy with snap on tools in general , maybe they cant fix shit with it but I assure you they where very happy talking about it and the fishing trip was very pleasant. on the other hand super man maxisys buddies had nothing pleasant to say at all. don't take it from me, just go and buy one of this thing if you so much want it and report back.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2016-07-25 15:17:24 (Reply to:spikeoo7)

I don't have a currently supported Snappy Scanner or oscilloscope anymore. As a Bottom Feeder, I bought my DS 708 for the Chinese Hack coverage( that ultimately got Autel in trouble in court.It seems to me Snappy is way over priced for what amounts to be always hitting you for extra cost options, such as paying to unlock European coverage with  less OE makes and special  functions offered , but the functions they do offer on their scanners does seem to have it's sh@t together better including viewing graphing in a consistent manner..Chinese Scanners seem to motivated Snappy off it's laurels to expedite  a lot more functionality to it's tools in recent years . My old Snappy Solus with 6.4 Domestic USA and Asian cars coverage software all fit on a single 256mb CF card and that included the OBD1 coverage from 1980's LOL. I bought a 512 mb CF card and was going to buy the 12.4  update and unlock European coverage , but Snap On Credit wouldn't run a used scanner serial numbers, to tell you whether or not it still has debt owed on it (and likely sold and reported as stolen)
      Generally Snappy's software has been field Beta tested and special functions used are  licensed, and the functions that are under evaluation, generally aren't put on software for techs to deal with non functionality and send in the data logs for the engineers to evaluate (after enough logs come in reporting the same issue), aggravating issues that may cost you more time, a lost customer, or issue may not get resolved in timely fashion before your free update period is over. Snappy's phone tech support is generally easier to reach and they have a pretty good PC program for saving and sharing scanner, and oscilloscope recordings. Generally  their scanners internal batteries are user serviceable,and you can buy a spare if you need.
      I still chuckle though when I read about some of these guys calling a Maxi Das a Hole Filler for a Snappy scanner  had just spent from 4 to 10 grand on and then they drop almost another 2G for a pass through device and pay for OE subscriptions just to be able to program some immobilizer keys  and still end up having to pull the door module or  security module on Fords just to get the key less entry pad code for a customer unless they have an IDS and a dealer code. That is total BS. 
       I figure the old slow  DS 708 was once the  Pride of Autel before the release of the Maxi Sys Pro that Bristled technology and  potential to repair and reflash  multiple car makes until the Ford Lawsuit and the problems with the later software versions disappointing. I will leave the software as is with back ups, and either get a used Solus Edge or New MS906, It just depends on the new  reports I read of the software functionality reports, support responses and resolutions to issues  I read about on here improving things and new you tube videos showing new tools still got old hack tool functionality and even more added functionality. 

•   Level 7   
    (817) points
    spikeoo7

2016-07-29 03:02:18 (Reply to:witsend)

yes your right, thanks for the inside. in the past couple of days  i read a bit on the snappy forum and they didn't sound very happy about the functionalities and prices on those over priced tools, same story with launch and others. autel may be the top dog right now i guess. i just bought me a used 708 from 2014 from a friend and this thing works great for the most part, super happy with it. I use the 908p for some newer cars and I may as well take advantage of the benz and bimmer functionalities and star doing something with that as well. for sure the price of this tool and update needs to be justified  somehow, now with the addition of vw/audi  i think it is getting there.  am just a bit afraid to screw a customers car, as this has already happened to others in the past, and this modules are not cheap as you may know.
  Total1 Pages