Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > Europe Cars > WHY YOU MUST HAVE SEVERAL SYSTEM??
WHY YOU MUST HAVE SEVERAL SYSTEM??

2776 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: 2016-11-06 18:35:49

•   Level 7   
    (962) points
    912guy
    2016-10-03 10:38:56
     Guys we all know that there is not one do it all scanner, and some do not even realize the difference between a scanner and code reader. They all can scan a car and read the codes, other give SAE CODES while others give manufacturer specific codes by brand  explained. Some  codes will be just two digits and others are four or more. Some codes will be P,U,A etc. A good scanner usually will cover about 90%of the dealership's capacity. Make sure your scanner has bi directional function meaning you can command the scanner to talk to the car and the car will respond to the command both ways, command and respond. Also make sure it has live data, most have scope functions built in, or have range data.Ex. I had a Land Rover come to me from another shop ,they suspected the injectors were bad, yes I probed them with a waekon injector signal probe. but just because the injector was firing didn't show me the range of the spray pattern, so I then used a Launch to view the range of each injector.  The injectors all had even range at idle and at rev they worked properly by figures, Next we checked coils, they were good, so I then suspected plugs, keep in mind this was a direct injected 5.0 with just 56k miles, yes the plugs were bad at 56k miles. Also you need actuation capacity to see the function of the module.Autel is good when its good, but I can tell ya,you will definitely need more in your toolbox when your planning to program, code ,reset , probe, and carry out functions to pinpoint the car's issues. Im posting some of my platforms...and I have more but cant get them all in the frame. Hopefully this helps the new techs, the vets understand exactly what I mean.If anyone needs advice drop me a line.
    file:  0916160649a.jpg

•   Level 8   
    (2559) points
    busaman

2016-10-05 06:37:39 (Reply to:912guy)

yes multiple tools are a must for different makes..

•   Level 7   
    (962) points
    912guy
    2016-10-06 09:01:19 (Reply to:busaman)
     yes I actually specialize in BMW,and JAGUAR-LAND ROVER, but all other platforms including Toyota,Lexus,Mercedes,Ford, all or Dealer platforms also. I am seeing more and more 2012-2013 models now. and most shops do not have the latest setups and have to outsource the work.I am a firm believer that you must invest in your business to stay current.Yes your correct more makes require more systems.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2016-10-06 13:41:13 (Reply to:912guy)

By time car comes through the door after their warranty is up , honestly, how many do you see that still need to have some sort of module reflash to sort out some problem the dealer didn't address while it was still under warranty? Do you up sell  $100 reflash services, with coolant flushes? Do you market it  as something that will likely extend the life of their powertrain and electrical components by 50% . When I worked for Ford, I was told Not to just reflash things to the latest calibrations as a  preventive upgrade unless the vehicle was exhibitting the problem that the reflash was meant to address, or you could create a new issues. If you work in a collision shop and or get mobile work from enough changing out new modules, you aren't gonna want to risk bricking an expensive new module with an unvalidated J-box

•   Level 6   
    (457) points
    Jim

2016-10-08 01:44:26 (Reply to:912guy)

what are the top 3 left scan tools=bmw/mini? / launch? / autel 905?

if its a 905 looks like older software ,before 2015

•   Level 6   
    (457) points
    Jim

2016-10-08 01:57:46 (Reply to:witsend)

I see lots of new cars like everyone is junking the old stuff,lots of salt in Canada

People pound the km on,sometimes 60-100k per year

Did rear EPB caliper on 2015subaru went into brk maintanace mode

Could not exit maintenance mode,no other shops could help     ,Dealer reset it

Its also got ABS reflash at dealer at 80k, if scanner did not force  me to send to dealer

it may not ave got the flash in the first 3 years240k,our  customers don't go to dealer

most times warranty or not ,unless major repair advantage

908P, I sent them a data log but THEIR ON VACATION

•   Level 8   
    (2559) points
    busaman

2016-10-08 07:05:50 (Reply to:Jim)

for BMW i use my 908 for a quick reference and its quite good for updating and realigning some modules if i need more i have e/net cable and bmw usb cable with istad/istap (which you can download from lots of forums with install guides ) so a dedicated bmw setup for under $100..

•   Level 7   
    (962) points
    912guy
    2016-11-06 18:18:08 (Reply to:witsend)
      As we all know rather BMW,LAND ROVER,JAGUAR,MERCEDES,LEXUS,all have needs continuously I do repair and reflash,code,,and do calibration,example even the lift gate needs recalibration on Land Rovers,Even the Injectors,some fuel pumps,General Electronics modules that run the pumps,the seat modules,the door modules,the hvac system,the airbag modules,The Nav decks,some radios,some Lighting modules,It all depends on what your skill,capacity,and coverage.I never want a customer to bring me a car to have something installed but I cant get it to function because I have no capacity to configure it,That customer will usually go to a shop with complete capacity and most likely not return. I can give a long list of cars I have did and programmed that just needed software updates that resolved issues such as rough tcm shifting,Gear selector issues,abs issues,yaw rate issues,lift gate issues, seat function issues,door module issues. I really do not upsell, I just fix the car by doing whatever it needs. Some system as we all know are server based,some systems I have allow offline reflash and calibration,once you download them from the dealer website.The software as we know has manufacturer TSB to address certain issues that merit a reflash,or calibration,Believe me,it works and has worked very well..At the end of the day our goal is to please the customer and resolve there issue by helping them save money and repairing in a timely fashion so we make money too..Did I mention the learning process???lol  Honda,Ford,Jaguar use same platform layoff with the ticks..

•   Level 7   
    (962) points
    912guy
    2016-11-06 18:35:49 (Reply to:Jim)
     Hello Jim top three are Launch 071 scanpad updated to July of this year ,and of course ms905 updated to 2015 Oct.also BMW MINI Progman and v57 but it has the latest calibration files released by BMW in May.  e,f,and k series. I have the latest ISTA D AND ISTA P for BMW .I use Autel as a quick filler tool it scans and pulls codes well...but the heavier stuff I go to OEM. I decided to go OEM when I was running into issues that a scanner limited me...that's a headache...I have HONDA HDS,MERCESDES XENTRY,BMW ISTA P, AND D,PROGMAN,V57,WINKFP,TECHSTREAM,AND GLOBAL,FORD IDS ,VOLVO VIDA DICE,JAGUAR SDD,IDS..(then we start scanners like Launch,Autel,OTC).What you will find that's also profitable is other shops will send you stuff to program for them because they must outsource the work due to there limitations...The investment has paid off and helped my business...
  Total1 Pages