Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > Maxisys Elite not calibrating Steering A...
Maxisys Elite not calibrating Steering Angle Sensor

4362 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: 2017-04-06 23:16:34

•   Level 5   
    (232) points
    nikkoms
    2017-04-03 05:17:26
    I have a 2014 Chevy Impala that needed some front end work (inner/outer tie rods, trip to the alignment shop), and was informed that I should re-calibrate the Steering Angle Sensor. I performed the SAS calibration using the Maxisys Elite with seemingly no issues. I shut the car off and then restarted it, and the service suspension light in on. I scan the ABS system and there is a code for "Steering Angle Sensor not calibrated". The code is not clearable until I perform another steering angle calibration, but the cycle repeats itself once I shut the car off. Viewing the live data, there is no change in the steering angle sensor degree whether calibrated or not. It just sits at 720 degrees.

Any GM techs know what the issue could be? The car did not come in with anything other than some bad tie rod ends. I might have to bite the bullet and buy a 2 day pass with the GM TIS2Web.

•   Level 7   
    (862) points
    SmogTech87

2017-04-03 06:24:36 (Reply to:nikkoms)

On a 2004-2013 Chevy Impala
    There are no special procedures to recalibrate the steering position sensor after the vehicle has been aligned. The calibration is performed by the computer when the vehicle is first driven. 

2014 Chevrolet Impala (with RPO NJ1)
    The Power Steering Gear assembly does not have an internal Steering Angle Sensor.
    Rather, it uses the steering angle sensor data from the EBCM.
    The Power steering control module learns the SAS that is on the Chassis Bus from the EBCM through high speed LAN.
    Can you post the Trouble CODE!

•   Level 5   
    (232) points
    nikkoms
    2017-04-04 00:56:35 (Reply to:SmogTech87)
      Thank you for the reply. The code I am getting after each ignition cycle is C0710-4B - Steering Position Signal Calibration Not Learned. I can successfully calibrate the SAS through the EBMC function menu, then clear the C0710, but it will start all over at the next ignition cycle. I've tried driving the car, turning the wheel full tilt both directions, nothing is successful. I'm at a loss on this one. It's like groundhog day.

•   Level 5   
    (232) points
    nikkoms
    2017-04-04 01:03:06 (Reply to:nikkoms)
     I believe I figured it out. There is an additional step to be completed that I stumbled up on Mitchell. I will try when the vehicle gets back into the shop. Here it is in case anyone else has the same issue:

For electronic power steering equipped vehicles WITH electronic stability control program and EXTERNAL Steering Angle Sensor, refer to Steering Angle Sensor Centering .

The centering procedure of the internal steering angle sensor (w/o electronic stability program) can be completed with the following steps:

Conditions: Front axle measured and set, engine running, vehicle speed 0 km/h (0 MPH), internal steering angle sensor is activated.

1. Using the steering wheel, align the front wheels in the center forward position.
    2. Using a scan tool, perform the Configuration/Reset Functions, Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Centering procedure.
    3. Steer from the center position slowly 90° to the left.
    4. Steer slowly back to the center position and then slowly 90° to the right.
    5. Steer slowly back to the center position.
    6. Perform the steering movements again.
    7. Centering procedure is completed.

Software Endstop Learning 

The software endstop learning procedure can be completed with the following steps:

Conditions: Front axle measured and set, vehicle speed 0 km/h (0 MPH), internal steering angle sensor is calibrated or external steering angle sensor sends a valid CAN signal.

1. Using a scan tool, perform the Configuration/Reset Functions, Power Steering Softstops Reset procedure and follow the on-screen instructions.
    2. Using a scan tool, perform the Configuration/Reset Functions, Power Steering Softstops Learn procedure and follow the on-screen instructions.
    3. Software endstop learning procedure is completed.

•   Level 7   
    (862) points
    SmogTech87

2017-04-04 06:39:49 (Reply to:nikkoms)

Thank you for the update,  keep us posted.

•   Level 5   
    (232) points
    nikkoms
    2017-04-06 23:16:34 (Reply to:SmogTech87)
     Sorry about the delay, the owner was finally able to bring his car back in today. 

Bad news, the procedure above did not work (it's for vehicles without stability control). I decided to fire up my old Tech 2 and give that a shot. Since the Tech 2 only goes up to 2013, I used a 2013 Impala (essentially the same vehicle). What do ya know? It worked. The SAS calibrated successfully, the code cleared and never came back after several ignition cyles, and off the car went. 

This is not the first time I've encountered this SAS calibration issue. A few months back, I had a 2013 Silverado Hybrid come through with the exact same issue (SAS would not calibrate). I didn't think to use the Tech 2 at that time. Instead it went to the Chevy dealer for $110. Autel needs to fix this. 
  Total1 Pages