Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > transponder key programing
transponder key programing

1273 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: 2020-01-28 20:06:38

•   Level 2   
    (10) points
    xx
    2020-01-27 21:34:20
     Iam trying to program a second key for my 2008 f150. i bought a 40 bit transponder keyhad it cut  , went into services mode and tried to program the key. it required turning the key on and off 8 times and i guess i was successful because the doors locked, but i was trying to program the key so it will start the car ,and that part did not work i am lost , what do i need to do to make a programed key that will stsrt the truck

•   Level 7   
    (1593) points
    promaster

2020-01-27 22:11:32 (Reply to:xx)

A remote control works to lock and unlock the door locks, but if the transponder is not programmed, the engine is not going to start.
    For the transponder to be programmed you need a key programming equipment:  https://www.auteltech.com/diagnostictools

For your MY Ford I always use the key with SA stamped on the key. The 80 bit version, which is backwards compatible with 40 bit keys.
    You may need to delete all keys before programing your old key and the new one. You need two keys when all keys are deleted.

•   Level 4   
    (155) points
    MexiCANBoi2020

2020-01-28 20:06:38 (Reply to:xx)

What you did was put the car into FOB programming mode. There's no way to add a second key to that ford without using a key programmer. It will erase all keys and program 2. You add the third key without a tool by cycling the keys. Only if you have 2 already programmed to the car, can the 3rd key be programmed without using a tool. In ur situation, you're going to need a key programming tool. Sorry. :(
  Total1 Pages