Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > New here - Jeep Question for Special fun...
New here - Jeep Question for Special function

1459 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: 2021-12-01 01:45:16

•   Level 2   
    (11) points

2020-05-18 17:47:28
       Hello All, first time poster! I have the MaxiCOM MK808 and i am trying to sync the cam on a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. The automatic vin read does not work, but when i manually select the year "up to 2003" and go to ECU, PCM there is no selection for special function just read codes live data ECT. 

What i am trying to do is "Set Sync Signal"  to adjust the camshaft sensor to get back into Sync. 

Am i missing something here ? Do i need a diffrent connector to do this ? 

Thank you! 

•   Level 7   
    (1473) points
    Kevin H

2020-05-19 02:39:34 (Reply to:)

There is no such function in a 2000 Cherokee that I'm aware of.

•   Level 1   
    (3) points
    JMPadilla

2020-05-19 04:39:24

If you have the distributorless cam sensor,  then you jus put the №1 cylinder on tdc,  remove the sensor housing and align the sensor reluctor plate and the housing thru the hole in both of them. 

Use a toothpick or something,  then align the oil pump shaft so the housing can properly seat,  check tdc and the holes aligned on the cmp and tight the clamp on the housing,  put the cmp back and you are ready to go. 

•   Level 2   
    (11) points

2020-05-19 13:42:36 (Reply to:Kevin H)
     Thanks, this guys shows it in his video with a diffrent scanner so i was hoping it was something i missed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKdtRec9dKI

•   Level 2   
    (11) points

2020-05-19 13:43:44 (Reply to:JMPadilla)
    Thank you! was hoping i wouldn't have to do that and there would be an easier way, as the Chrysler Manual says to use a scan tool as well! thanks 

•   Level 1   
    (9) points
    Jeeps

2021-12-01 01:45:16 (Reply to:)

I could be wrong and I've been known to make things up but I just did this with a MS906TS.  My steps to doing this were simple on a 2004 TJ I6.  After I set #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke (very important) I installed the oil pump drive gear (OPDG) with new cam sensor on top with it's alignment pin installed.  I ensured the connector was pointed straight back as best as I could while ensuring the oil pump was properly engaged.  Removed the alignment pin from the cam sensor.  Warm the engine up to operating temperature.

I had already connected my AUTEL and navigated to the vehicle on the "Select diagnostic type" screen.  My next steps were as follows:

Manual selection
    Year
    TJ-Wrangler
    Diagnosis
    Control unit
    Powertrain
    ECM(Engine Control Module)
    Special function
    Set synchronization signal (if the engine is not running you are likely to receive the "Engine must be running to carry out this function" message - touch OK if it is running)

[you should hear the engine accelerate]

The screen will display:

Set sync spec = 0o
    Distributor setting = (current live value)
    Current synchronization status: (In range or out)

Loosen the retaining clamp bolt just enough to move the OPDG and adjust slightly until you receive the best reading possible on "Distributor setting = (current live value)".  Carefully, re-tighten the retaining clamp bolt while paying attention to the AUTEL setting to ensure it doesn't go out of spec again.
  Total1 Pages