Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > Asian Cars > Unable to add a
Unable to add a

1317 Views 0 Replies Create Time: 2020-06-20 13:45:04

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2020-06-20 13:45:04

UNABLE TO ID OR ADD A "USED" TOYOTA SMART KEY WITH MY MAXISYS ELITE OR NEW IM508! TO 2013 CAMRY HYBRID. NO WARNING THAT USED SMART KEY WON'T WORK,  NO USED SMART KEY RESET/VIRGINIZE OPTION IN MENU , NO READ  SMART KEY TO CHECK CORRECT COMPATIBILITY WITH SYSTEM OPTION

I got a new IM508 and an APB112 a month ago and figure I wouldn't register and update unit untill I had a car I couldn't program a key without having to connect to Autel server in order to do so. However new out of the box it won't allow you to use the unit up to 10 times before you absolutely forced to register the unit if you want to do anything with it.:-(. Because some cars require a connection to Autel's server, and you only have 12 months of updates and server access, I figured I just hold off registering my new IM508 and use my Maxi Sys Elite until I get an Immobilizer job my Maxi Sys Elite is unable to do.
      Well a guy brings me a Used Toyota Smart Key he got off E-Bay. I first try to test the button output of Used Smart Key with the RKE test function in Tools of my TS401 and the TS401 does not detect any button output.I thought it was a bad Smart Key, but  I do the same with the customer's good working Smart key and was surprised TS401 didn't detect any RKE output from buttons on working smart key, so figured it's button MHZ output is not either 315mhz or the 433mhz range the TS401 can detect the RKE button output. Interesting. So assumed the used Smart key might still be ok.
     I decide to try to add spare Smart key using my Maxi Sys Elite because it had the add key function but it failed  repeatedly.
       I then decide I will register my new IM 508, and naturally I forgot my Autel password and have to reset  that and wastes about 40 minutes before I can hook up my new IM508.
       The IM508 failed to add a "used" Toyota Smart key on a 2013 Camry Hybrid and with no obvious special function or instruction  on the tool to on how to Reset or Virginize a used Smart key to try if used Smart key fails to take. Most people are going to try to obtain a good used Toyota Smart key and get by with that as a spare key. I didn't even see an option on tool to read and compare the basic IDs of the Smart Keys to verify if Smart key were the same model internally. So first time IM508 use was a total disappointment and I wasted a couple valuable  hours.
      If this tool can't reset/ Virginize used Smart Key then what good is it? It should just come out and give WARNING Note  Used Smart Keys cannot be added  programmed or reset by Autel tool to work on a another vehicle! , or ask you if the Smart key is used and let you select that  and direct you what you need to do next:-(
       I figured if support said yes that a MaxiSys could add a "Used" Smart key to a 04 Toyota  Prius, that an IM508 would be able to add a "used" Smart Key to a 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid , read a Smart key you want to add and say compatable or incompatible.

http://pro.autel.com:6688/autelsupport/Diagnostics/20711.jhtml?createrId=322251&view=1

Total1 Pages