Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > IM508 programmed Knock Off Chrysler Sma...
IM508 programmed Knock Off Chrysler Smart Key into a working Special Needs Key

1588 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: 2020-12-28 04:09:19

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2020-11-28 21:53:42
     My brother was down to his last key for his 2015 Chrysler Town and Country and orders a Knock Off from Amazon for $15. He invites me to Thanksgiving dinner and aks me to bring my IM508. After Dinner and a few beers, I connect the IM508 to his internet and we go out to the garage to program a new key for his van. Suspicious about the knock off's key chip type I go into programmer and first read the working key chip type and then read the chip on the new key and they were the same type of chip, so I figured I would proceed to immobilizer and attempt to add the key. The Immobilizer scan passed but I'm surprised it doesn't tell you from module information, or Programmer information  it obtains if present key or system for it sees is  Blade, Fobik, or Smart Key style system. I tried adding the key first as a Smart key since his 2015 Chrysler Town and country is Push button to Start . I followed directions and it said key programming failed, but all the buttons of Fobik worked, so basically I thought maybe It is Still a Fobik key system with a push to start button option. I try to add the key again selecting Fobik key and it said key programming failed, (buttons still work on Fobik ), I don't want to chance erasing all keys and trying as all keys lost, so I try to add a key as smart key and it says it failed and van won't start with the push to start button, but if you pop the push to start button off and insert the fobik key into the slot , it works to start the van and open the doors. Not exactly what you would call a Smart Key, but it can still work in a pinch as a "Special Needs Key,to start the van if you pop the start button off and insert and turn like a Lego block for a Pre Schooler. :-)) . 
    I can't say for sure it was because I had a couple beers, defective knock off key, or a software glitch in the tablet, but I do know I haven't been able to send out my last 5 scan reports, haven't  received emails to it since November 9th. I tried but can't send emails (yes it is connected to internet , and tried sending scan report from another network too, Updating seems to work ok. 
      Another thing  with Toyota/ Lexus when I was trying to determine if the customer's single working key in ignition  on is recognized as a Master, or Slave key, it doesn't display a data pid in Immobilizer or Diagnostics of present key being either, however it tells you how many Master and Slave keys are registered , but not what the one in the ignition is. I'm not sure but only guessing the Toyota Master keys are the ones with the remote function  buttons and the Slave keys don't have any buttons?

•   Level 1   
    (3) points
    sleepyrz

2020-11-29 20:28:37 (Reply to:witsend)

Wrong key for sure
    Thats a fobik keyless go car
    It is NOT a regular fobik at all inside the key
    Its a smart key that looks like a fobik
    You had a regular fobik for 15$ NOT a keyless go fobik
    Those are minimum 75$ up to 120$
    Get the correct key and it will work fine

As for the toyota 
    the immobilizer light tells you if it is a master or valet chip
    Master the light goes out instantly 
    Valet the light stays on for like 2-3 seconds and then goes out
    You can have a valet chip in a remote head key
    Watch the light on the dash it will tell you

This is just your lack of knowledge
    You need to get some training
    Not being mean here its just the honest truth of what I see 
    Get yourself some immobilizer books
    Josh heath books 
    Or the autosmart book set

Good luck

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2020-12-02 00:50:34 (Reply to:sleepyrz)
     Thanks for the information especially the tip about how to tell if a working Toyota key is a master or slave key.
      My brother ordered another cheap key for about $10 more and I tried to add the key with my Maxi Sys Elite since I had the PIN from several days earlier with the IM508, but for some reason the Maxi Sys Elite refused to recognize the Smart key system was in the key on engine off condition when I turned it on as instructed, so I decided to add the Smart key with my IM 508 but once again it only took as a Fobik key that required the button to be removed and Fobik inserted and turned to work.

•   Level 7   
    (1473) points
    Kevin H

2020-12-02 20:34:04 (Reply to:witsend)

Hi Wits,
    Are you sure that he is ordering the right key? Get the numbers off the back of the
    original key and make surw you order a key using those numbers. I have had
    customers order a key for Chysler's that look the same, same buttons and so on but
    some functions of the key does not work.
    As far as purchasing that imobilizer manual, I'm sure you have AllData or or some
    other data provider that includes the same information. Or at least all the information
    that you need to do the job.
    There is a learning curve with any new repair that you take on. In a year you will be a
    pro with the IM.

•   Level 7   
    (1593) points
    promaster

2020-12-02 22:52:34 (Reply to:witsend)

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2020-12-03 12:02:50 (Reply to:promaster)
     Thanks, we opening up one of the Fobiks and  confirmed the lack of the proximity coil , so thanks for posting the link to the video.

•   Level 5   
    (243) points
    FX4

2020-12-05 00:05:43 (Reply to:witsend)

The info on the Toyota Master and Sub keys concerning the security light illuminating for several seconds with the sub keys is correct, But if you forget to check that when working in the immobilizer module you can also check the "Master Key" and "Sub Key" PIDS, which ever key is in use at the time will show "REGISTERED" and the other one not in use will show "UN-REGISTERED". These PIDS are just for the current session. There are other PIDS stating the number of each of the key types that are registered.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2020-12-26 13:19:57 (Reply to:Kevin H)

My brother got a pricier knockoff key off Ebay and we opened it and made sure it had the PEPS coil but it would still only program to work as a dumb key .PEPS didn't work,  Buttons would work and key would only work if start button removed and inserted. I told him he has to get a genuine Chrysler PEPS key and he returned it to Ebay seller. So he finds a genuine Chrysler PEPS key and ordered that, so he has a genuine key and I go there yesterday for dinner and after Dinner and a beer I go out to the garage and it programs the genuine PEPS key as a dumb fobik key.  This time I erase all the keys and start from scratch and it still programs everything including the original working PEPS key as dumb Fobik key, so now he has to remove the start button and insert the keys and turn and passive entry doesn't work.
       I had better luck adding a couple keys to his mother in law's 2008-2009 Toyota Corolla while we were all there , but I was surprised that the IM508 tool prompted a network connection for this lowly Toyota , so I had to connect the IM508 to the internet and successfully added the original Toyota Fobik key.  The knock off fobik key programmed , but it's fobik buttons didn't work, LOL.
      I saw the tool had a system update and one for Mazda available and updated the tool since it was connected to internet. Figured since the system got updated and tool now and has network access, one last try , Erase all the 2015 Chrysler Town and Country keys again and try to add them again as PEPS but it still failed to program them as PEPS Smart keys, and he still needs to use them like dumb Fobik keys. I told him since we have the PIN , I could try using my Maxi Sys Elite, but confidence isn't too high. My guess is if I'm the only person having issues adding PEPS keys to a 2015 Town and Country, then maybe trying everything to program the incorrect dumb fobik keys as PEPS keys last month, more than X number of time made his Chrysler security system to  go into a sort of PEPS key programming super lock down mode or something.He's not too happy he has to take it to the dealer now , but hey Bro just be happy you can still drive it there.LMAO.

•   Level 5   
    (243) points
    FX4

2020-12-27 02:35:04 (Reply to:witsend)

This is a different tool, but watch this video and see if you are doing the additional step for the keyless n go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2_gE0fuajA

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2020-12-28 04:09:19 (Reply to:FX4)
      Thank you The IM508 in smart mode failed to give guidance for the last part about exiting smart mode to go into system selection after programming keys to match Keyless Go. I spoke to my brother today and he had it taken care of already at the Chrysler dealer for $78.
  Total1 Pages