Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Update access to specific Makes at a DISCOUNT over normal 80 car subscription fee?

1805 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: 2016-10-09 16:50:46

•   Level 2   
    (16) points
    dssguy1
    2016-08-26 17:49:14
     Hi,
    I am a DIYer and decided to up my game and purchase a MS906.  You really can't work on today's cars unless you have a nice tool like you provide.  I was not surprised by the fact that I needed an $800 subscription to update the unit past my first year (because I did my homework).  But I would like to propose that you consider offering some type of A La Carte option for the DIY community.  I don't need updates to 80 car manufacturers!  I just might want 1 or 2 to support my home garage.

I know your business model might not support the DIY guys but it seems like you are missing out on a segment of the population that otherwise just "won't buy" your equipment because 1.5 years of subscription is more than they paid for the whole unit!  Kind of like the inkjet printer business model...

If you were offering the option to pick a Manufacturer or a Couple Manufactuers for a MUCH reduced fee (maybe $50/yr per make), I think you would pull in additional business you never had before.

An independent garage is not going to buy one make so you really wouldn't be losing out on their business and you could even limit it to something like 3 makes in the A La Carte selections to ensure people don't go crazy and have you lose out on the more expansive 80 car subscription fee.

Please let me know if you are even considering this as an option or if it is totally out of the picture.

•   Level 2   
    (16) points
    dssguy1
    2016-09-08 13:20:47 (Reply to:dssguy1)
     Bump

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2016-10-09 16:50:46 (Reply to:dssguy1)

I think in theory, that  it would be a good idea to be able to update things Ala-carte but in reality I think newer car updates at certain times often require a newer system version for it to work properly, and then if you update the system then you run the risk of creating new  problems running the rest of the older software.
      I'm really  not sure if the new updates while adding newer car coverage , might be  at the same time  eroding some functionality of the older  car coverage as Autel engineers continually  have to juggle what has to be removed , or temporarily disabled  until they find a creative enough work a round to get things working in a different software architecture in order for things to get OE  lawyer approved and restored again in a future update if enough folk data log and complain about something broken.
      I know I have decided not to update and just buy the cheapest newer platform to get  newer car coverage and abstain from updating any working software versions unless I read on the forum that the updates are good and didn't break anything else.

Total1 Pages