Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > got a good one
got a good one

4443 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: 2014-04-01 17:57:47

•   Level 6   
    (437) points
    Wild Bill
    2014-03-26 11:05:05
    2002 ram 2500 with 8.0. stalled ,willl not comm with any onboard computers. Cluster says " no bus". 2.45 volts on both data lines. Unplugged all 5volt sensors to see if they were shorting. It was running when brought in and found pcm was not energizing the alternator. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-03-26 12:52:34 (Reply to:Wild Bill)

yes that's a good one alright but if clusters says( no bus) communication between modules was lost for sure  now  lets do this we are going to start with the pcm you said you unpluged  all sensors make sure to also include crank/flywheel sersor this is number one for that issue also verify the 5 volt is there after you unplug the sensor, if no 5 volt that circuit is either grounded  or a bad pcm also unplug the tranny, assuming all  5 volt sensors where disconnected  also we can get the pcm out of the way by just disconnecting it you should be able to connect with the other modules on the network if you can then is a bad pcm if you can not connect with the other modules on the network then the problem will be with one of the other modules on the network locate the junction connector under the dash driver side all ccd bus runs thru there  now 2.4 volt is right  this is the crazy part but monitor this voltage see if it changes at times because around 2.5 volt its exactly what we are looking for  not exactly the same voltage if the low goes down the high goes up and vice versa assuming is not right disconnect or cut one wire at a time at the junction connector see if communication comes back  hope something i wrote helps you let me know how it went  if you need the pin out let me know

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-03-26 18:16:55 (Reply to:Wild Bill)

Bus Failure
    The CCD data bus, it is possible for the data bus to pass all tests since the voltage parameters will be in “range“ and false signals are being sent. There are essentially 12 “hard failures“ that can occur with the CCD data bus:

■Bus Shorted to Battery

■Bus Shorted to 5 Volts

■Bus Shorted to Ground

■Bus (+) Shorted to Bus (–)

■Bus (–) and Bus (+) Open

■Bus (+) Open

■Bus (–) Open

■No Bus Bias

■Bus Bias Level Too High

■Bus Bias Level Too Low

■No Bus Termination

■Not Receiving Bus Messages Correctly

Bus Failure Visual Symptoms & Diagnosis

The following visible symptoms or customer complaints, alone or in combination, may indicate a CCD data bus failure:

• Airbag Indicator Lamp and Malfuntion Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated

• Instrument Cluster Gauges (All) Inoperative or no bus message

• No Compass Mini-Trip Computer (CMTC) Operation

•   Level 6   
    (437) points
    Wild Bill
    2014-03-27 03:44:47 (Reply to:ede65)
    Thanks. I have unplugged the crank and cam as well and there is five volts there. I
    also unplugged the pcm and still no bus. I will look for the junction. I looked before
    and could not find one at all. I know the diagram shows to have one. Thanks for all
    your advise. Anymore ideas would be a great help. It has 2.45 volts one one wire and
    2.46 on the other wire. I do have a square wave pattern on my scope that bounces
    around. The instrument guages do not work though. Thanks

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-03-27 06:55:47 (Reply to:Wild Bill)

yes the junction is under the steering colum around there some where I don't have an exact location on it but is in that neiborhood  start with the instrument cluster see if the overhead console works if not unplug that one also is much easiers to do it at the junction it will save you a lot of time  just remove the junction plug and test the ccd bus right there for each module/node   one more thing I forgot to tell you  disconnect battery both terminals and  touch them together for 30 seconds to drain caps this will wake up the modules for sure some time they go into a deep sleep to wonder land  that voltage of 2.45 and 2.46  that is a .1 different  ussualy a module sleeping  but it could also be defective  good luck  let me know what you found

•   Level 6   
    (437) points
    Wild Bill
    2014-03-28 10:07:34 (Reply to:ede65)
    I did as you said. No luck. I have unplugged everything 5 volts and evertyhing on the
    data line. At all points the voltage is the same on the ccd. I figured I should be able to
    comm with the cluster but can't. I cannont find any junction connecter. I even cut open
    the harness. It is not anywhere on this truck. Any ideas. I do see the ccd lines in the
    harness though. Your thought. ? Thanks for your help.

•   Level 6   
    (437) points
    Wild Bill
    2014-03-28 10:07:37 (Reply to:ede65)
    I did as you said. No luck. I have unplugged everything 5 volts and evertyhing on the
    data line. At all points the voltage is the same on the ccd. I figured I should be able to
    comm with the cluster but can't. I cannont find any junction connecter. I even cut open
    the harness. It is not anywhere on this truck. Any ideas. I do see the ccd lines in the
    harness though. Your thought. ? Thanks for your help.

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-03-28 11:34:35 (Reply to:Wild Bill)

ok consedering you can not find the junction connector lets do this  go to your wiring diagram  ondemand5 if you can look at computer data line  you will see the pin out ccd + and ccd -  at every module  keep this 2 wires in mind in case we need to cut wires later now lets try to find the junction connector for that vehicle go to your obd2 plug  follow that harness it will lead you to the connector  if you can not find it this is what we are going to do cut the wires at the dlc obd2  plug where you plug your scanner  cut the ccd+ and ccd-  ( pin 3 of dlc vio/brn ccd+) and (pin 11wht/blk ccd-) you are going to run wires from the dlc  to the pcm pin 30 possitive and pin 28 negative  now there is no skim in this vehicle no immobilizer on the network to prevent it  from starting only your asd relay not powering your pcm  also pcm receives ccd possite and negative from junction connector  and from the connector to the dlc  so if you run straight wires from dlc to pcm you should be able to connect with pcm  if not your pcm is missing powers  asd relay or grounds or a bad pcm   also beside ccd+ and ccd- the pcm has 2 more wires that goes to the dlc for communication  sci receive and sci transmit  this is in case ccd bus is lost correction  also unplug abs module and tell me does this vehicle starts and runs  i never did ask you this  (correction) i meant to say ic is the host I edit the previous is where the bus voltage originates from sorry I don't know what am saying anymore

•   Level 6   
    (437) points
    Wild Bill
    2014-03-28 12:19:33 (Reply to:ede65)
    So the cluster is not the host? This does not run. You are right ,ther is no skim. And
    no computer on board communicates at all. Thanks again. You are really giving Me
    some things to do I havent yet done.

•   Level 6   
    (437) points
    Wild Bill
    2014-03-28 12:28:42 (Reply to:Wild Bill)
    I've followed what you said a still no comm with pcm.
  Total2 Pages