Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > Europe Cars > Need help deciding which model I need
Need help deciding which model I need

2752 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: 2016-12-08 04:43:31

•   Level 2   
    (16) points
    carguy
    2016-12-07 16:59:27
    Is there a difference between the ms906/906bt/ts in capabilities in programming besides the tpms and different hardware? Is there a difference in programming capabilities between the 906 series and the 908 without the j2534 adapter? What is the 905 mini a mini 906 or a mini 908? What exactly is the J2534 capabilities for? If I need to replace an ECM in a 2008 Nissan, do I need the J2534? is the relearning and coding functions of the 906 enough to program keys and trigger throttle relearn etc, is it necessary to flash it using J2534? Why, it's coming from another vehicle with same components?

I"m generally dealing with lower to mid end cars, like Toyota, Honda, Hyundai Nissan, Ford, GM, what scanner would fit my needs? It is not common for me to be replacing the ECU, would there be a point in getting the J2534? 

Thanks in advance

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2016-12-07 18:59:43 (Reply to:carguy)

The only ones that have capability to  reprogram (re-flash modules) are J2534equipped  MS 908 Pro ,Elite , and CV . Unless you reflash enough BMWs Mercedes , and VAG group cars to justify the $300-$400 higher cost of updates than the Regular MS908 it might not pay because the Autel J2534VCI (Maxi Flash Pro) is not a validated with most manufacturers yet, is hit or miss with on line programming from OE Websites and Autel will not allow you to downgrade it from a Pro to regular MS908 to save money.
       The MS908 costs a few hundred more to update than a MS 905mini  because of a bigger screen and HDMI cable but have same capabilities.
    The Ms 906 BT has a wire less VCI , The MS 906TS offers a tire sensor exciter for built in  TPMS tool. The MS906 is a price point scanner that forgoes Blue tooth VCI                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           I believe can do everything but J2534 programming , and TPMS sensor exciting, but forgoes coverage of a Maserati and one other high end make. It is a corded scanner like the DS708 

•   Level 2   
    (16) points
    carguy
    2016-12-08 04:43:31 (Reply to:witsend)
     Thanks for your response, it was very helpful. I currently have the MD802 all sys for a few years (extremely useful) and I"m looking to upgrade to a bi-directional scanner. I know there is no one tool that does all but will the ms906 do most of the stuff out there?

The reason why I was asking about the difference in the models was because I was getting different answers from other sources. Some sellers post comparison charts and write that only the ms906ts/bt and 908s have andvance coding (what ever they mean by that) but not the MS906 base model, and one seller was telling me that the ms906ts/bt has more capabilities (besides TPMS) than the 906. the autel website states "Complete capabilities for codes, live data, active test, ECU information, adaptation, matching, etc." with the MS906 but with the ms906 bt/ts they ad the words coding and advance ecu coding in the features. Not sure what they mean by that. I spoke to 2 reps from autel and they didn"t know what I"m talking about, they said like what you said that the difference is in the hardware but the software is the same, they get the same updates. I think I"ll conclude that it's just a difference in the hardware, the words coding or advance ecu coding are just for marketing purposes.
  Total1 Pages