Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > 2012 Durango PCM
2012 Durango PCM

2149 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: 2017-07-28 19:31:58

•   Level 7   
    (1473) points
    Kevin H
    2017-07-26 21:24:29
      Hi guys, I have a 12 Durango in the shop. The alternator shorted out and smoked the PCM. I ordered a PCM from a reman outfit. When it came the vehicle still would not charge. No field pulse from the PCM.
     After spending two hours checking the wiring i went to the junkyard and got a used PCM. After installation and programming the VIN. The car started and was charging fine. So the reman PCM was junk.
     But now I have another problem. The cooling fan only has high speed. I checked the PCM configuration data and noticed that the original was configured for a linear PWM fan but the used PCM was configured for a 2 speed relay fan system.
     As near as I can tell, that configuration can't be changed. Unless one of you guys no a way to do it and get me out of this jamb.
    Kevin

•   Level 5   
    (293) points
    billymck

2017-07-28 03:22:45 (Reply to:Kevin H)

the pcm will have to get programmed to fix this.....pretty sure its going cost more to convert than it is to just reprogram to the correct software....you don't know what else might out of wack....i'v seen some crazy stuff

bill

•   Level 7   
    (1473) points
    Kevin H
    2017-07-28 19:31:58 (Reply to:billymck)
      You know I hooked up with the J2534 and reprogrammed the used computer with a new calibration using the VIN and that didn't fix it. I guess that is a "coding" issue. To bad you can't change the options in the PCM. I guess they want you buying new parts from them (Chrysler).

OK, here is an update, I purchased a new PCM from Chrysler. I tried to write the VIN into the new PCM and I got a "no response" message. 
     So then I tried going into the  wireless module and did a "PCM replaced". I could not write the VIN that way either.
     I can't get the VIN programmed. Until the VIN is programmed, I can not finish programming the new PCM with the Jbox.
     I'm going to have Chrysler send me another PCM. It has to be the PCM because I have no problem programming the VIN on used PCM's. 
     I'll update tomorrow when I have the new PCM.
    Kevin
  Total1 Pages