Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > 2012 Durango PCM
2012 Durango PCM

2104 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: 2017-08-19 12:40:27

•   Level 7   
    (1473) points
    Kevin H
    2017-08-17 21:23:29
      Hi guys,
     I'm hoping somebody can help me here. I purchased a new PCM from the dealer for this truck and I can not write the VIN into the new PCM.
     I have the PIN number and went into the wireless module, selected PCM replaced, entered the PIN number and got a VIN write failure.
     I tried with 2 other scan tools and none of them worked.
     From what I have read, 2010's and up you must program the VIN into the new PCM before hooking up the J2534 programmer. If the J2534 program does not read the VIN when started, you get the "check that the key is on" message and can go no further.
     Has anybody installed a new PCM on a 2010 or newer Chysler? Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    Kevin

•   Level 4   
    (141) points
    Bestdamgarage

2017-08-18 17:04:01 (Reply to:Kevin H)

with older jeep and chrysler pre can the jbox will write or change the vin in pcm just using the tool box without a subsrciption

•   Level 7   
    (1473) points
    Kevin H
    2017-08-18 20:17:53 (Reply to:Bestdamgarage)
     Hi Best,
     I got it going. I screwed up. The service data said to install the new PCM and program the vin and mileage in to the PCM first thing. That is what I was trying to do.
     The right way was to install the PCM, connect the Jbox and start the app. Now the J2534 app will not be able to read the vin because the PCM is blank. The app gives you the error message to check your connections and make sure the key is on. I thought you could go no further but I was wrong.
     I should have clicked on the "continue" button in the bottom corner of the screen. A new page comes up that allows you to enter the vin manually. It then gives you a list of calibrations to choose from. 
     I picked the one that matched the vehicles build data and flashed the PCM.
     Then after flashing I went in to the wireless module with my scan tool, under special functions I clicked on PCM replaced. Here is where you need the PIN code. I entered the PIN and VIN and the wireless module sent them to the PCM. Now the VIN is programmed in to the PCM.
     Next I used the scan tool to program the mileage in to the PCM. I did the throttle and trans learn and all was well.
     I hope this helps somebody out. It's the first time I used the 2010 and up J2534 app. It's not intuitive and the service data instructions suck!
    Kevin

•   Level 4   
    (141) points
    Bestdamgarage

2017-08-18 23:04:19 (Reply to:Kevin H)

What j box are you using.I have a snap on pas through pro 3 basically rebadged drew tech i havent tried any can bus chryslers with it was scared becuase there was warnings on drew techs web site.When you hook it up to older chryslers and read vin and calibration it ask if the vin displayed is correct if not then you can manually enyer the correct one and write it but i have only done this on pre can with used pcms. You should check out the snapon j2534 forums .just google snapon forum selct all forums.It is the only other forum i have found usefull information on this kind of stuff.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2017-08-19 12:40:27 (Reply to:Kevin H)

Thanks Kevin. I'm sure your post about your experience will help others. Let us know what J-box you used .
  Total1 Pages