Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > Just purchased a MaxiDiag Elite and it w...
Just purchased a MaxiDiag Elite and it won't read my 1997 Chevrolet Silverado ABS system.

1288 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: 2019-04-03 21:52:54

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    Paul
    2019-03-30 21:12:26
     Just purchased a MaxiDiag Elite and it won't read my 1997 Chevrolet Silverado ABS system.

•   Level 4   
    (140) points
    bad007

2019-03-31 12:50:46 (Reply to:Paul)

That's what happens when the module isn't powered up, is defective or has a com problem.

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    Paul
    2019-03-31 17:41:10 (Reply to:bad007)
     My ABS system has been engaging at low speeds, like when I pull up to a stop sign.  I pulled the 60a fuse because the effect was very unsettling.  When I put the fuse back in and set up the scanner  the ABS system still doesn't come up on the scanner menu.  Do you have any idea how to test the module itself?  

•   Level 4   
    (140) points
    bad007

2019-03-31 18:34:03 (Reply to:Paul)

Scanner menu? The actual module selection or no communication when selecting or when performing a all module scan? When you say ABS system doesn't come up, that means little. 
    1st perform a full system scan and see if s the ABS/Traction control appears in the list of modules scanned. 
    If it isn't there look for u**** codes in the other modules saying they lost comm with the EBCM esp the PCM/ECM
    If it's there you can jump straight to it from the list. 
    When you say it's not in the menu it sounds like when your wanting to select it to scan and it maybe in a submenu like under chassis for example. 
    Low speed activation is from the voltage dropping to low at slow speeds and then on your maxisys you'll see a sudden drop to 0 on that wheel when creeping to a stopn real slow.
    Causes are high resistance in the sensor or wiring to it or the sensor is raised up from rust under it on the  front hubs causing a large air gap and in turn causes low voltage at low speeds. When those trucks where younger we cleaned the rust up and replaced the front sensors. Now if you clean the rust up there maybe to must surface rusted away and then the sensor hits the exciter ring in the hub so we replace.  
    If you have a no com fault listed in the other modules saying they see the EBCM  check power and grounds. The fuse you pulled was for the pump motor only.

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    Paul
    2019-03-31 20:31:24 (Reply to:bad007)
     When I plug in the scanner the only  two relevant choices are OBDII and SCAN
    When I do OBDII I get:
    ML Status     OFF
    Codes Found     0
    Monitors N/A    3
    Monitors OK     7
    Monitors INC    0

When I do SCAN I get:
    Auto selection
    Manual Selection

I either enter the VIN or go through the steps and enter vehicle info like Chevrolet 4WD truck K  and engine R
    After that I get:
    1   4WAL
    2   Supplemental Inflatable Restraint 
    3   Electronic variable orfice

When I choose 4WAL I get:
    Tester not communicating with control unit
    1.make sure the ignition is switched ON
    2. Check the cables between the Tester and the Vehicle DLC
    3. Check that the battery is charged

I'm guessing that I have a bad connection going to the Kelsey Hayes ABS unit?

Thanks

Paul

•   Level 4   
    (140) points
    bad007

2019-04-01 01:26:13 (Reply to:Paul)

Don't choose 4WAL, pick auto scan all systems. If the EBCM isn't communicating you will get U**** codes listed in some of the other modules.  Make sure all known installed modules show in the all system scan. C100 at the firewall could be a problem it you have no U*** codes in other modules. 

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    Paul
    2019-04-01 22:44:01 (Reply to:bad007)
     As I mentioned previously when I enter the scan mode and enter the VIN the following menu screen has the following three choices.
    1   4WAL
    2   Supplemental Inflatable Restraint 
    3   Electronic variable orifice

Auto Scan is not an option.  

•   Level 4   
    (140) points
    bad007

2019-04-01 23:52:56 (Reply to:Paul)

So where is the VCM/ECM ? Tool not finding them? Unless you can diagnose a Uart Com problem skip scanning and 
    fix old school. Visual for rust under the front sensors as mentioned etc. There usually there the  fault. Use a DVOM and measure AC mv rotating the wheel as fast as poss. and look for about 350 or more. Less like 200-300 will cause your problem. 1980-2800 ohms 40-110deg

•   Level 7   
    (1473) points
    Kevin H

2019-04-03 21:52:54 (Reply to:Paul)

Paul' the scan tool should talk to the PCM and the EBCM on pin 2 of the data link
    connector.
    Turn the key on and check for voltage in pin 2 of the data link connector. You should
    have at least some voltage there.
    So I assume that you can not talk to either one right?
  Total1 Pages