Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > Europe Cars > Can a MS908 P write VIN /program and cod...
Can a MS908 P write VIN /program and code a used Air Bag control Module on a 2011 328 I?

1138 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: 2019-09-30 14:31:49

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2019-09-04 12:37:50
      Providing I am still within in my update period and have a good internet connection, is this possible? BMW 328xi N52 E90/USA LL
    I am trying to address a MRS code 9419 for left belt force limiter. I already unnecessarily replaced the pretensioner end release buckle assembly with a new one of the left side driver seat. That did not resolve the issue and code would not clear or at least stay cleared for more than a few minutes. I know I'm not supposed to test airbag circuits without proper airbag simulators , but I removed the center console and took my chances with a high impedance Ohm meter set to the x1 ohm scale, and tested the circuit resistance of both front seat belt pre-tensioners from the MRS module connector and they both tested under 3 ohms of resistance and did not jump around wiggling under seat harness.

•   Level 9   
    (5837) points
    Ashraf

2019-09-04 20:42:33 (Reply to:witsend)

Yes you can by going in to Coding/Programming Options but, I would try updating the same old module and see if that could fix your problem if not than you can install the replacement  module and do the same by selecting replaced module option and follow the instructions....

Here is one of the You Tube video this is just an example.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0B2tg5oTds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMJaMx7n8kc

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2019-09-06 04:35:54 (Reply to:Ashraf)
     Ashraf ,Thanks for the reply and the good video links. I updated all the modules that had higher levels available, however the MRS module did not have a higher  level available to flash it.  I didn't think  it would allow me to flash the MRS module over with the  same level that it already possess.

•   Level 9   
    (5837) points
    Ashraf

2019-09-06 09:10:34 (Reply to:witsend)

In first window before downloading the files it will ask you if you have replaced any modules..............select YES and in next window select your airbag module and it should let you perform new coding/programming option.....

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2019-09-06 13:06:05 (Reply to:Ashraf)
     If the original module has an internal hardware failure , and the overwrite does not resolve concern, will Autel's server allow me to download same file over again to be repeated again on the used ECU?

•   Level 9   
    (5837) points
    Ashraf

2019-09-07 11:42:08 (Reply to:witsend)

I don't think that could but, yes you can install the same part number S/hand module and program it to your vehicle according to the Vin Number using Autel Tool online........

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2019-09-25 16:01:57 (Reply to:Ashraf)

Good news and Bad news .I was able to flash and code the original MRS module of the 2011 BMW 328XI over again with the same existing level to rule out internal corrupted software with my new MaxiSys Elite, but still have the MRS 9419 code persisting for  left belt force limiter that won't clear. I then partially removed the center console to tip the rear of it up to access and replace the module with the 2nd hand module from a 2009 and was successfully able to program and code that module to the  vehicle without VIN mismatch issues, however the MRS 9419 code persists.
      I was suspicious when attempting to clear the code , the tool continues trying with a spiral and doesn't end the process in any timely manner and let you know if it failed to clear code. You hit cancel  and it then it  tells you codes were successfully cleared and to go back and test again. The 9419 still persists and I even unplugged the harness for the right side harness and created new codes and reconnected the harness and clearing those generated codes was no problem, so I know the Elite can clear past MRS codes. Have to figure the harness resistance is just  a little higher than the module wants to see. Have a new left pre-tensioner , I did pin out tests and terminal inspection and terminal drag tests and don't know if I just got another defective MRS module or not  ?:-(  Looks like the 2 twisted wires comes as part of a harness assembly, (that surprisingly $70 didn't sound outrageously priced enough for what I think the correct BMW wiring loom is going to turn out to be) but the parts guy says there's 2 possibilities and that I would need to get the  number off the  harness tag ( buried somewhere beneath the carpeting and  center of console. Screw that. I ordered twenty five  2.2 ohm resistors from Digikey to make up circuit simulators when I need one. I got a feeling I just have 2 modules that fizzed something inside each one from a past left pretensioner deployment.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2019-09-30 14:31:49 (Reply to:Ashraf)
     I'm wondering since I programmed and coded the original MRS module first that had the unclearable  9419 code permanently burned in it , that when I programmed and coded the used module with my Maxisys Elite that it burned the same Cr@p code it pulled out of the original defective MRS module into the replacement module.  Two defective modules with the same unclearable 9419 LF belt tension limiter codes. What's the chance of that occuring. Entire circuit was bypassed with areal actual good pretensioner plugged in right from  the ECU connector :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl0J41hy1l8&t=384s
  Total1 Pages