Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
IM 508

1187 Views 0 Replies Create Time: 2021-02-17 15:38:33

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2021-02-17 15:38:33

I work from home and mobile-ly semi retired.10 months ago I bought an  IM508 and an APB112 to emulate Toyota Smart Keys, and six months later bought a clearance priced  XP400 after Autel superseded the  XP 400 with the Xp400 Pro. I even considered getting the G-box, but have not purchased one as of yet yet.( Oops I text stuttered, so I must be of the Yeti tribe)
      I think between the IM 508, APB112 and the clearance priced original XP400 I am only into things about $1500,  but due to not committing to go all in and getting myself a LSID and  investing in key cutting equipment and having a stock of common Fobs and key blanks on hand, I lose out on most  all keys lost scenarios which most of my calls seem to have been about. I tell them I don't have keys or fobs in stock and they need to go to the dealer with proof of ownership and ID and have keys cut from the factory Key cut code before I can come out and can do anything for them and typically  I lose out on most of these potentially lucrative All Keys Lost Situations because they either find their misplaced key or they ante up and just tow their car to the dealer. I have yet to use my APB 112 and the folk that provide me keys and Fobs usually obtain Chinese knock offs and or used Smart keys that often waste my time if they won't take. I always perform a full auto scan and quick erase report for customers as part of the job, and tell them up front that I'll try to program any thing that  they supply , but other than new OE keys , if it doesn't take they still need to pay me $30 for my time if they brought car to me and $60 if I come out  to them if the keys or fobs supplied are used or aftermarket knock offs that won't take.
      I already have a Maxi Sys Elite , so  Thankfully I didn't buy an IM 608 where the updates costs are more than double because honestly I still haven't gotten a return on investment yet in 10 months period using the IM 508 for key programming, because  I usually use my Maxi Sys Elite for doing the Diagnostics since the IM508 is cable tethered, smaller screen, and lacks active testing capabilities of the Elite, however after the update period of my Elite is over , I will try to get by just updating the IM508 for key continued  programming and and for also for diagnosing  the occasional future 2022, or 2023  model vehicle my Elite can't do if I don't pay $1000 to update it.        
  Total1 Pages