Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > why won't xp200 read key chip
why won't xp200 read key chip

1129 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: 2021-05-11 01:43:08

•   Level 2   
    (21) points

2021-05-10 15:11:10
     I have recently acquired the use of an IM508.  I'm trying to use the programmer for the first time on an 11 forester.  I inserted the key into the XP200. I selected read/write key, then automatic detection, it runs a scan to check key type and always ends with "Chip communication failed. Please check whether the chip is placed correctly or in good contact"

Am i doing something wrong? what could solve my issue?  

Thank you in advance

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2021-05-10 18:33:18 (Reply to:)

I believe the XP200 programmer when hooked up is limited and can only identify the type key chips from automatic identification which are no more than the selections available from the list of key types you are able to choose from manually

•   Level 2   
    (21) points

2021-05-10 22:37:00 (Reply to:witsend)
     Thank you, I did choose the automatic function, and it still gave me the error code listed above.  I tried several different keys, from different manufacturers, and it didn't recognize any of them?! So, I'm bewildered

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2021-05-11 00:19:13 (Reply to:)

If your IM508 is still within it's update period and you have it connected to a WIFI network, you might want to check if the programmer firmware is updated to the latest level and if it still can't identify key chip types of common Asian and Domestic models, then  call Autel support in your geographic area to see if they can remote into your device using the Quick Support App to see if they can resolve the issue or a need to create a RGA warranty repair. 

•   Level 2   
    (21) points

2021-05-11 01:43:08 (Reply to:witsend)
     I did realize that there were updates available since i first posted.  I did a few of them, but the battery got too low to continue. It took me a while to figure out how to charge it, lol Damn newbies 
  Total1 Pages