Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > Change VIN on a 2008 Jeep Jk Wrangler
Change VIN on a 2008 Jeep Jk Wrangler

4876 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: 2021-02-23 03:48:25

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    DBOR
    2016-05-16 11:13:34
      Hi Guys - have a damaged ECM on a 2008 Petrol JK Wrangler.
    I have a second hand replacement ECM available - same model variant and year, but obviously with a different VIN.

Using the Maxidas DS708 and Chrysler package 6.50, I can get to the VIN Read / Write screen but all it does is read the existing VIN, and tell me its ok..... then no mention of writing a different VIN.

What I need to do is WRITE the VIN from the old damaged ECM to the working replacement ECM.

I did see a mention of "turn off the key when you press read to get the Write VIN screen" and this does bring it up BUT before I proceed I'm wondering if this "hack" is actually going to work or cause more problems.

So... can anyone advise how to SAFEY change the VIN in this situation ?

Thanks for any help.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2016-05-17 01:21:01 (Reply to:DBOR)

Nothing Ventured , Nothing Pained? Let us know if it works. If it were me and it ran, I would have the customer drive it to Jeep Dealer and follow him there and then  try it there in their lot.LMAO

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    DBOR
    2016-05-17 02:33:25 (Reply to:witsend)
     I can't fault you logic..... up to a point :-)

But the vehicle still drives..... so....... I could just directly go to Jeep and avoid the middle step but why have a tool that promises to do a VIN change at all ? When you think about it, if it can't change a VIN on a used ECM its of no value. A new ECM comes COMPLETELY blank so even if the tool could add a VIN its of no use as the new ECM is still unprogrammed  and the vehicle won't drive.

I'll wait awhile to see if anyone else has any information then toss the coin... Autel or just straight to Jeep..... and buy them a new solid gold back scratcher.

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    DBOR
    2016-05-26 08:04:45 (Reply to:DBOR)
     OK... all good now.

Don't bother using the write VIN in the ECM section.... go to the WCM section and there's a replace ECM function that does the job.

HOWEVER you must have the vehicles security PIN otherwise you can't proceed. Once you have it.... then its dead easy.

•   Level 7   
    (817) points
    spikeoo7

2016-06-06 03:14:27 (Reply to:DBOR)

yes is dead easy when you have a pin code.  all this vin numbers can be change without it on a used pcm not new . it is not a hack, snap on tools have been doing it since the 90s with the MT2500 aka  the block. drew-tech's j2534 tool box has an even better one cuz you can reset and renew. ede65 found a way to do it with the maxidas and maxisys  by doing a trick he posted on the  forum. autel later removed it on vehicles after 2003 but there is still one way to do it without having to input a pin code, of-course am not posting it or autel will remove it as well. if you understand how Chrysler works you will find how to do it, its very easy.

•   Level 1   
    (3) points
    jdamico888

2016-06-09 20:28:22 (Reply to:spikeoo7)

Aloha spike007,
    I currently have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler in my shop - we had to replace ECU and ABS control module. I just received the Maxisys MS908P yesterday because my Snap on Verdict & PassThru Pro couldn't write the VIN after programming the new ECU. I have everything done at this point with the exception of programming the "Special Security Key". Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated - I am very much a legit shop - you can verify by visiting my web sight @ tch808.com.
    You can send info to joe@tch808.com

Thank you 

•   Level 7   
    (817) points
    spikeoo7

2016-06-09 20:43:42 (Reply to:jdamico888)

ok I will send you the info by email. I will assume the modules you replaced are used, if the ECM  is new it will need to be flashed in which case the vin will automatically be written but the above procedure will not work in this case, a pin code will be needed. Chrysler flashing is not possible by autel at this moment, you will need to purchase a 3 day subscription from Chrysler for such task.  the abs just needs to be initialized after the ecm/pcm is programmed  with the correct vin and/or flashed if new. am not a locksmith and have no access to this code sorry but you can get one from the dealer if you can show proof of ownership or have the vehicle owner get it for you. best of luck

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    MarkFloyd

2021-02-14 23:36:28 (Reply to:spikeoo7)

Hello,

I have a similar problem with a 2007 Hyundai Elantra using the MS906 in which I can't seem to write a VIN onto a used/replacement ECM. The original ECM is reporting a ROM issue and is causing the check engine light to come on. The car starts and drives fine with the replacement ECM and the check engine light stays off, but the entire problem is just that is has the wrong VIN (the one of the car that this ECM came from in the junkyard).

I found that by tricking the tool into thinking the VIN is blank by turning off the ignition just before pressing WRITE VIN, it brings up the box to enter the new VIN. Once I type in the new VIN, before pressing OK, I then turn the ignition back on (otherwise it tells me it can't establish connection) and it seems to proceed as if it will actually write the VIN but then it says the write has failed.

I wonder if there's some way, a "trick", that could actually get this tool to write the VIN to a used ECM that already has a VIN on it. Right now it definitely seems this Autel model (all of them?) can only write VIN to an ECM that does not have a VIN already on it ... in other words, only a new "blank" ECM.

Thank you for any help.

•   Level 1   
    (8) points
    jerisyal

2021-02-23 03:48:25 (Reply to:DBOR)

Hi I have im508 when I replace ecu it asks me to clear old vin first then it writes the
    new vin
  Total1 Pages