Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > How do I get my DS708 to read 1998 Dodge...
How do I get my DS708 to read 1998 Dodge airbag codes???

5253 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: 2017-01-16 21:35:36

•   Level 2   
    (38) points
    jclaus98
    2017-01-11 01:49:28 (Reply to:billymck)
     Thanks for the reply Bill, but can you give me a little more detail on your comment about not being plug and play? I have an alldata subscription, but I'm not sure what your referring to about the plug and play nature of the system. I know that the CCD bus communicates through the DLC on that vintage vehicle, and can get it to pull the ABS codes as listed above, but for some reason it won't read the ACM codes. Your help is greatly appreciated, I've pulled out most of my hair trying to fix this stupid problem.

•   Level 2   
    (38) points
    jclaus98
    2017-01-12 02:25:15 (Reply to:jclaus98)
    ??? 

•   Level 2   
    (38) points
    jclaus98
    2017-01-13 16:26:51 (Reply to:jclaus98)
     Anybody...

•   Level 2   
    (38) points
    jclaus98
    2017-01-14 05:23:38 (Reply to:jclaus98)
        If anyone from Autel actually reads these, I'll be returning my DS708 for a full refund. The product does not function as advertised and this forum has been of absolutely no assistance whatsoever. 

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2017-01-14 20:45:12 (Reply to:jclaus98)

Did you try borrowing a old Snap On MT2500 to see if it can pull the Airbag codes like I need to do for old Dodge Durango ABS ,or at least unplug the antilock brake module with the VIN mismatch? Have you considered possibility  that if there is  any sort  VIN mismatch code it could  red flag  it to prevent any further communication with an Airbag system for liability concern of accidental deployment ?
      If the old Snap On scanner works and the DS708 still does not pull the codes, even  after unplugging ABS module and retry. I would figure it is another old Chrysler software hole that Autel never did or never will fix, no matter how many data logs people send in.
     JClaus98 , I bet it could pull your brother's airbag codes  on his Red Mercedes up at the North Pole though :-))

•   Level 2   
    (38) points
    jclaus98
    2017-01-16 18:25:44 (Reply to:witsend)
      I have not tried a Snap-On MT2500 because I don't have a Snap-On MT 2500, I have an Autel MaxiDas DS 708 that was supposed to be capable of reading airbag codes on any Chrysler vehicle between 1996-2003, according to the features & functions sheet. I have considered that the VIN mismatch may have something to do with why it won't read the airbag codes, so I tried disconnecting the ABS module completely and still no airbag codes. Additionally, as previously stated, the ECM that created the VIN mismatch has been in the vehicle, operating normally for 10+ years with no lights and no issues, the airbag light just illuminated a month ago.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2017-01-16 21:35:36 (Reply to:jclaus98)

Well I have a MT2500 for OBD 1 cars and older OBD2 through 2005. I always first  grab DS708 , and noticed some software holes or communication issues with some  older Chrysler products too but I think it is overall a great tool that  has served me well since August 2013. Other than being slower than the Maxi Sys , not having J2534 , no one has of yet given me a concrete list of  functional  examples of advanced coding that I am likely to miss on cars here  in the USA that a MS 905 Mini offers (that will actually work) where it is not also  found on my DS708 , unless newer Autel updates intentionally removed and dumbed down it's Former Flagship DS708 in recent years in order to list DS708 coding functions as minimal, but Autel denies removing any software functions.
      I have compared Software Version Updates numbering and noticed since my expiration that some makes numbers like Chrysler since mid 2014 have only gone up just one /one hundredth of a decimal point , ex  Chrysler version went from V 7.10 to only V 7.11 in over 2 years, so maybe something court ordered had to disappear. Probably still no new car coverage added since 2014
      Ford only went from V9.00 to V9.13, one tenth of a decimal point,plus three hundredths of a decimal point, so maybe one thing got fixed or reappeared, while 2 other things disappeared? Again probably little new car coverage added .
    GM software went up a whole number from V10.00 to V11.20, so I figure they actually added another full year of new vehicle coverage, and maybe  a couple things came back and got repaired? Who knows the method to their madness?
      Of the car makes I would  "likely to see in the USA" that had a DS708 update that the update version number actually increased by one whole number or more since mid 2014. (Audi, Bentley, GM, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, KIA, Land Rover, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Rolls Royce (appeared), and Volvo (Volvo did shoot up over 3 whole numbers versions ,like you would have expected the rest of the makes to have done in two and a half years of updates  LOL ) 
  Total2 Pages