Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > New Key programming for 2016 Mustang
New Key programming for 2016 Mustang

4922 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: 2017-06-27 03:17:28

•   Level 3   
    (56) points

2017-06-21 00:46:56
     I unboxed my MaxiSys Pro today and hooked it up to the car. I need to add a third key, but nowhere at all could I find where that is done. I thought it was under PATS from what I read online, but dont even see that option on any menu. Any tips?

•   Level 7   
    (1473) points
    Kevin H

2017-06-21 22:55:12 (Reply to:)

With the first programmed key, turn the ignition on for more than 3 seconds but less than 10 seconds. Turn the key off and insert your second programmed key into the ignition and turn the key on within  10 seconds of removing the first key. Leave the second key on for atleast three seconds but no more than 10 seconds before turning the ignition off and removing the key.
     Whithin 10 seconds of removing the second key, install the additional key that you want to program and turn the key on for a minimum of 6 seconds. 
     The third key should now start the car.
     All of the tools capabilities are in the function viewer. Tap the Home icon in the system tray and select function viewer and you can check coverage for any car. 

•   Level 3   
    (56) points

2017-06-22 17:39:54 (Reply to:Kevin H)
     Thanks Kevin. That process looks like itll work but didnt for me... it said "Maximum number of keys already programmed". Looks like now I have to just delete all of them and restart from scratch with the 3 I have.  I dont think I can do that though, I think that can only be done with the ford software and subscription, but I could be wrong.

•   Level 7   
    (1473) points
    Kevin H

2017-06-22 21:35:22 (Reply to:)

I think that only works if the instrument panel PID "SPAREKEY" reads enabled.  It usually is set to enabled from the factory.
    If you can get into the IPC, check and see if the PID "SPAREKEY" is set to enable. If it is, that key programming procedure should work.
    If SPAREKEY does read enabled you can program a maximum of 8 keys.
    Unless Ford changed things in the last few years you should be able to erase the keys and program the 3 keys that you have with a scan tool that has PATS functions.
     I would bet that Autel will add PATS functions for your car in the next year or two. It`s too new.

•   Level 3   
    (56) points

2017-06-22 23:55:27 (Reply to:Kevin H)
     Great info, thank you!
    PATS has been around for a few years now I think, I was dealing with this on a '13 Mustang as well.
    I think the Ford tool is the only one that I know of that has PATS capabilities, and thats $50 every time I freaking use it. I hope Autel gets that ability SOON!

•   Level 7   
    (1473) points
    Kevin H

2017-06-24 16:04:06 (Reply to:)

I know Snap On and Auto Enginuity both have PATS functions. If it were me, I may try manually selecting a 2014 Mustang and try the PATS function. I bet it will work.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2017-06-24 23:29:27 (Reply to:Kevin H)

I could be wrong , but thought for the last few years of PATS systems Ford started some Bull sh@t where some sort of Incode /Outcode be entered and  do it through a purchased Ford Subscription and have a registered locksmith ID to enter on the site to get those codes you need to enter for the vehicle.

•   Level 7   
    (817) points
    spikeoo7

2017-06-25 03:19:35 (Reply to:witsend)

usa's  ford don't use in code out code, only mazda does and Europe's ford. most of our ford here in usa uses timed pats system, however some new ford vehicles after 2013 uses coded pats system such as 2014 and up ford fusion, some focus maybe 15 and up, ford transit 2014 and up also. there are others but cant remember of hand, done a couple  of this vehicles . what happens here is when you try doing a parameter reset  the ids automatically goes on line and ask for the locksmith or nastf  id and password, once verified it completes the parameter reset. in other words 2 licenses are needed to start this vehicles, the ford ids or fmp  and locksmith or nastaf. hopefully ford don't decide to implement this bullshit on all their vehicles anytime soon.  

•   Level 7   
    (817) points
    spikeoo7

2017-06-25 03:37:59 (Reply to:)

all you need is a passtru, a windows laptop,  ford j2534 software (fmp) and a 35 dollar sub for 3 days. you can flash/program and do timed pats until your heart is content. I use ford ids 99% of the time but fmp and autel's maxiflash pro works excellent as well.  one question I have though, does your maxisys have the pats function for this model year and if it does was the enable sparekey function available? re enter pats function and after security has been granted there will be a few functions available, enable sparekey should be one of them, if not it needs to be reported.

one more thing, did you register and updated your tool? you stated you took it out of the box and connected to the vehicle.

•   Level 3   
    (56) points

2017-06-26 00:13:50 (Reply to:spikeoo7)
     Spike007, thanks for the reply and good information.  I do have a mongoose J2534 passthrough as well as the maxiflash. I also registered at motorcraft but didnt download anything yet.
    when I got my MaxiSys Pro, I did do a full update and registered it.  (it took hours!). when I select Ford, and have it read my VIN, I do not see PATS anywhere. Its possible I dont know where to look however since Im very new to this tool.

I can try to do your method tomorrow, Im petrified of screwing something up and needing to tow it to the dealer!
  Total2 Pages